Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fed, drugged, stabbed, sliced...

Checked into SJMC on Tuesday night. Good thing the pre-admission was done earlier. The insurance Company gave their Guarantee letter, and I was swiftly sent up to my bed, Ward 309-1.

The overnight was a formality, to allow for the insurance claim. Had I were to know the malady that I'm to face in time, I would had asked for a morning admission. More on that.

So I got into bed, with my Stuff and HWM August issues, a headset, plus Astro on TV. Fasting began. Needless to say, I cant sleep.
One, the bed is very uncomfortable, with it's PVC liners.
Two, I got a 2 bedded room and occupied it myself. The solitude is welcome. That is, until the nurse told me, it'll be occupied later tonight. She's expecting patients. :o

8:31pm, Day 1
Had my blood pressure taken. 120/70. I'm a healthy specimen. I watched both episodes of Prince and Me, all the Wah Lai Toi series, and finished my Stuff magazine.

11:30pm
Dozed off a couple of times, knew my eyes are tired, but the mind kept moving. Anxiety?

2:00am
Patient checked in. Young lad blacked out while riding his motorcycle, crashed, boom, bang. The nurse was right. Creepy...

6:05am, Day 2
Another reading taken. 120/80. I'm cool.

7:00am
I'm up, brushed my teeth, changed into the hospital gown (my butt's airy).

9:04am
BP 130/90. I was told the surgery's at 8.30am. Still waiting.

10:30am
The bed/trolley arrived. I'm placed on the bed, blanket over my arms, and wheeled to the Operation Theater on 6th floor.

11:30am
Given local anaesthesia. Darn needle hurts, as Doc poked around my heel.
More waiting.

12:00pm
Dr. Nathan finally arrived, got me under the lights. Darn, the OT is really cold. I'm shivering whilst lying there. I was chatting with the Anaesthesis, and hardly 5 minutes into the conversation, Dr Nathan said done.

12:30pm
Back in my room. Lunch time. Finally, food, after a 12 hours fast.

1:30pm
BP 130/90. I'm expecting to be discharged. But BP's climbing.

2:00pm
Dr Nathan made his rounds. He's not happy with the high BP. Refused to let me go, as he has to take responsibilities for my well being. I'm to stay another night. Bummer...

3:00pm
Dad dropped by. Nice to get a visitor, though I vehemently didn't want any.

5:30pm
Dinner. Steamed rice, curry chicken, steamed vegetables.... the usual healthy stuffs. I want McDonald's!

6.30pm
Dad and Mum came by. They know I'm pissed cos I didn't get discharged. Bored, frustrated, miserable. Oh, and I've not showered since I checked in.

So, I spent the night in the hospital again. Good thing, MayLi, HsinYee, Kum Hon were online. I got to chat with them till 10+, I think.

5:00am, Day 3
BP reading again. It dropped to 120/75. I'm elated.

7:00am
I'm up, raring to go. Cleaned,had breakfast, dressed.

10:30am
Dad arrived. Still no sign of discharge. He went out to the nurse station, and suddenly a flurry of activities. I had my dressings changed (by student nurses, 5 of them). Nice.... ding dong ding dong.

12:00pm
I'm reading to go. Waited an hour, no wheelchair arrived. Yesh, I decided to just go. Dad took the bag, I hopped to lobby.

Guess what, I met Poh Chin and Justin at the lobby. She was at work (PC, you look so sweet in the office attire).

1:00pm
Home sweet home. I showered, grabbed a bite, sat down in front of the notebook and cleared my emails.

2:00pm
Called Dad. Not good. The blood is seeping thru the dressing, and it's dripping on the floor. Dripping, like a faulty faucet. Damn, I'm losing blood fast.

2:30pm
Back to the ER. Blood pressure 160/95. Yeap, that's right. 160/95. I blinked, and blinked.

Dressing was changed, and I'm released with additional rest till the weekend.

No comments:

NuffNang