Friday, August 24, 2007

Being challenged..

I'm starting to empathise with the people who were born limb-challenged, or at one point of their life, had lost the use of certain limbs.

Waking up this morning, I dreaded getting out of bed. I had to wrap the heel in plastic, avoid putting pressure of the heel, grab my towel, hopped to the bathroom for my shower.

Bathing was a real chore, with one leg propped up high. Pity my other leg, who's gotto support my full body weight (double the work). Finishing, it's another challenge to get out of the wet bathroom.

Changing is the next obstacle. I can't do it sitting, I can't do it standing. Ever tried to change your clothes while hopping around on one foot?

Next comes getting my gear (notebook, bag, phone) and myself down the stairs to the living room. Anyone who saw me would have had a good laugh. There I was, on my butt, notebook bag strapped in front of me, crutch in one hand, and I had to descend one step at a time, on my butt!

Once into the living room, comes the task of getting to the kitchen to prepare breakfast (I get cranky without my morning meal). Tsk.. tsk.. I wanna walk normal again.

As I'm sitting here, the thoughts wander to those who had to live their lifes like this everyday. Perhaps prudence made them choose a better environment, that is, if they could afford to. Who wouldn't want a single storey, disabled-friendly home, with ramps, things within reach and height.

Showering with a stool to sit on, no stairs. My heart goes out all of your.

No comments:

NuffNang