Sunday, June 15, 2008

New toy

MWG Zinc II

This, is love at first sight (for a PDA user). I was shown the actual units of Zinc II, Atom V, HTC Touch Cruise, and HTC Touch Diamond.


This unit won hands down.
Touch Cruise came close, but the graphics turned me off.
Atom V would have been cheaper, but for a unit that came without the keyboard, it's too big, square and cumbersome.
Touch Diamond had similar features, but at the same price, it's still HTC, without the keyboard. Plus it's more like a ladies phone (not that I'm too gender conscious).



It's so new, there's no holster available for it, no screen protector made in it's size (I had to use the XDA Mini's holster and protector), and not even an online manual for downloading.



And the first problem I've encountered, never install a software and allow it to restart the PDA, whilst the PDA's connect to the computer via Activesync, whilst it's about to start synchronising.



That will effectively screw up the system restart in the PDA, and give you an ugly white screen. Which leads to a hard reset, and losing all pre-installed stuffs that I had setup earlier.



Another to grip about is how difficult it is to hard reset (a good feature to avoid accidents). It says power off, and power on, and press the quick menu button as the first image appears. This is a challenge of reflex. In the end, it's not power off/on. It's soft reset, and reflex challenge with the button.



Sheesh.... good think the Lord answers prayers, even with technologies. Patience and a period of rest got me going. The unit's up and working, albeit missing some really useful tools that I had, like SPB Plus, Mapking2007, Lingosoft Dictionaries, IM+, Sprite Backup. All of which I had the installer, minus the serial numbers back home.


So much for backing up the PDA. Now I have a backup file, with no backup software to "back down" it.

2 months wait.






...

No comments:

NuffNang