Sunday, January 06, 2008

What it's like here...

I'm writing this from my perspective, as a new foreigner in Ho Chi Minh. Possibly, it may not reflect what a local or long-stayed visitor would say.

I'm currently putting up in Phan Xich Long St (pronounced fan sik long). The Company to employ a driver for business use, and is at my disposal during my stay. However, they've overlooked the possibility that their visitor may want to travel without chaperone, and had neglected getting a driver that speaks English! So now, though I may want to go somewhere, calling the driver on the mobile, and communicating is near naught. Add the difficulty of pronouncing the names here...

This city is large. Perhaps nowhere near what I've seen in Jakarta, but then again, I've not seen it all. Till now, I'm still moving about in the Phu Nhuan District, which is located NorthEast to District 1, the heart of Saigon. On foot, it may take me about 30 to 45 minutes walk, amidst really chaotic traffic, reverse traffic flow, and swarms of motorcyclists.

The international airport, Tan Son Nhat Airport, in located to my east (Tan Binh District).

The environment here is truly a mixture of many that I've seen. People go about casually dressed in simple, none-branded clothes, yet some dressed up to their nines (ladies in particular) to walk about. The streets and buildings by the side reminds me of Bidor Town in Ipoh, but a somewhat larger and modern version. Most buildings along the streets are 3-4 storeys high, with build in lifts. It could be a residential, commercial, or combination of both. It is also the setting of the cheap hotels.

Walking about, you'll find many massage and spa joints, or beauty and hair wash parlours. Whilst I was assured that the business are decent, some do exude that dubious air of clandestine activities. Believe it, once pressed further, my guides do admit there are available services when asked correctly. Hahahaha.... what city wouldn't have.

For a tourist, the attractions would mostly be the buildings and sights of old churches, colonial era structures, the self-pampering services, and the food.

Speaking of food, I've seen the French cafes (couldn't pronounce the meal, what more stepping into one. Perhaps later...), the Japanese restaurants (tried one. Rather good, and fresh salmon to boot), the expatriate Singaporean restaurants of chicken rice, curry chicken rice, frog porridge (pricy places). No Malaysian fare yet, though I did notice Nasi Lemak on a menu in a Singaporean joint. Not seen the laksa, roti canai stuffs.

The beef noodle (pho, pronounced fer) is rather tasty. Stock soup, maggi like noodle, sliced of tender beed and raw beansprouts and fresh basil leaves. It's good.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Hey, we're coming down to find you in sometime in the middle of this year. Get ready for us yeah. Enjoy Ho Chi Minh. It's a great city. One of the best places I found was Cafe Central that overlooks a square in District 1 where you can watch passerbys or just hang out. Cya!

NuffNang