Monday, May 14, 2007

Bummer...

What a bummer..

My parents are climbing Mt. Kota Kinabalu, the highest peak in Malaysia, this morning. I just got news that mother is felt dizzy, cold and her legs hurt. She's staying put at Laban Rata. She's not going to complete the climb to the summit.

Dad went ahead. Halfway up the summit, he dropped the torch. As usual, he trodded on, and tripped. Hurt his legs. Said it felt weak. And so, he turned back.
Good thing he's safe. Those cliffs are too dark for trekking without light. And one wrong step....

Right now, they're both headed back to base, enroute to KK town for a good rest. They'll need to nurse their injuries, sooth the pain. I know most definitely, they're disappointed for not reaching the summit. Nevermind. What's important is that they went up. Halfway, is better than nowhere. I've seen too many younger ones, who shudder at the thought. This is where guts and bravery comes from.

I've been there. Sis had been there. It was indeed very challenging to get to the top. But I had expected dad to be able to make it. After all, he spent an hour daily at the gym. For a 59ner, he's definitely fitter than I. If only he had listened and secured the torch to his arm.

I've been thinking since then. Perhaps, next year we climb as a family. We'll lookout for each other. Try to make the summit together. Right then. 12 months of preparation work. I better go get a medical check. Will my knee hold up for the climb?

CYoong's been there. Heard his toe is still black till now. Is he going to amputate it? But I know he'll say, it's worth it. We're not Everest material. Yeap, we're too soft for that. But for a softy, we've got the guts to go at it. It runs deep in our blood.

Bungee jump, anyone?

2 comments:

drdoomjr said...

well, i only got to know ur dad didn't make it, i didn't know thewere hurt, neway, it'll be one of my best memories to be able to scale kk, well my toe is 99% heal after almost 10 months, imagine that, haha. well, ur parents should be happy too coz those that didn't make it get 2 certs, those who make it only got 1 cert, hahaha

UjinYee said...

I'm happy to know that you're still ten-toed CYoong.

Now that it's almost healed, any thoughts of attemping Mt.Tahan?

NuffNang