Saturday, May 09, 2009

I'm proud of me

Today, I did a good thing. I took part in a deed that made me proud of myself.

We found a small dog wandering the streets in Subang whilst enroute to lunch. For the first time, we did an about turn and went to the dog's rescue. He was thin, hungry and seems neglected. However he had a licensed collar and leash attached. This isn't right.

Thinking he may have ran out of the house, we asked around the street, to no avail. A lady (Serene) came out to help identify the chap. Since we couldn't locate the owner, she agreed to let us put the dog in her garden, whilst we try to locate the owner's address and PAWS (Paws Animal Welfare Society, I think).

The local council confirmed we could obtain the license once the office reopens on Monday. And PAWS will send someone to collect him on Monday too.

That puts us at ease, and off we headed for a well deserved lunch. Towards evening, Serene asked us to pick up the dog as she couldn't keep him overnight. Well, since da and ma are not keen on having him around over the weekend either, we sent him to PAWS instead.

I wouldn't know if he's grateful for the help (since he tried to snap at my hand) but he certainly was happy with the doggy bites.

At PAWS, I was truly humbled to have met a really nice guy named Roy, who happened to be a volunteer at the shelter. There's certainly more to a weekend when spent saving lives. It was also really sad to hear that for every 10 dogs brought to the shelter, 2 would return home. The rest became residents.


As for the owner of the lost dog below, I certainly hope he or she would find the compassion to take him home. What manner of a person would abandon an animal like that? Are they expecting the same in their old age?

Roy, I agree with you. A taste of their own medicine would be a lesson well learnt. I lost a dog too. And I want him back.

No comments:

NuffNang