Saturday, April 11, 2009

Visiting SPCA

Made a visit to SPCA today. Couldn't help it, I simply must see for myself. Would never forgive myself if JD had indeed been waiting there for months.

My arrival was greeted with raucous barking (standing ovation at that!). First thing that hit was the stench... of overnight soiling and rank from living in close quarters.

Walking around the cages is almost like walking the green mile. Only diff was that the green patch happened to be in the cage, not the pathway. Some would bark incessantly, seeking attention and drawing hope. Others skunk into corners far from the door, not knowing if they faces the abuse from cruel hands again.

I saw the chap that was said to look like JD. Yes, he does have the features, though the dark mark on his back was on the wrong side. He stared forlornly, a habit of JD's. And yet no recognition comes to his eyes. The sadest part, he showed no excitement, no hope, as if he knew this would be his home for the rest of his days.

The caretaker offered him for adoption. To me. Said the poor chap was nursed to health, only to suffer from skin infections round the bum again. I would have wanted him. And yet I couldn't knowing I still have hopes for JD's return. There can be no replacement. Never.

No comments:

NuffNang